I used to live in Brixton. Now I don’t, and it’s changing faster than I can keep up with. Brixton has spawned countless foodie successes (both Honest Burger and Franco Manca started out in Brixton Village), and new opening Canova Hall is looking likely to do big things too.
Right up there in the beauty stakes (well done Red Deer design team!) – with distressed walls, high ceilings strung with fairy lights, vintage cocktail decanters and those stunning marble tables – it’s a fab choice for many reasons:
1) Good for groups: This place is massive, with plenty of booths to seat 4-6, and long tables to seat even more.
2) Good for brunch: With a £20 bottomless brunch offer, which includes mimosas, pasta and pancakes, you can’t go wrong. (Out east, sister restaurant Martello Hall does the same.)
3) Good for dates: The big central bar means it’s buzzing come sundown, and the cocktail menu and array of wine and beer on tap means that everyone’s catered for.
4) Good for comfort food: The menu is Italian, and the pizza oven is vast, so Canova Hall has carb loading covered.
5) Good for freelancers: Canova Hall offers a £12/day hot desking deal, which includes bottomless coffee. (Just like Martello Hall)
6) Best bathrooms I’ve seen in a long time – and I believe it’s totally legitimate to judge a place on its bathrooms.